We’re having a bit of a slow morning today and I thought I would pop over to Frugal Woods and see what they are up to these days. And man did I get some inspiration, particularly from this article on Fun Frugal Winter Activities.
So naturally, I thought I would write a few ideas that I have come up with. Because we have all been there on a Saturday night, wondering what to do. We aren’t big TV people so after an hour or two on the laziest of days — it gets a little boring.
And here is my list of frugal winter activities to start your 2018 off right. Mind you we are currently childless adults who occasionally enjoy ‘wetting our whistles’ with a little help from $3 mulled wine and Busch Light.
Indoor Frugal Winter Activities:
- Bake cookies, pies, cakes, and anything else your sweet tooth is craving!
- Start crafting. Knitting, macrame, sewing, collage, you get my drift.
- Do a puzzle.
- Refurbish an old curbside dresser, entertainment center, chair, or anything else you are able to find on the side of the road. Everyone has spare paint in their basement.
- Paint something.
- Make some mulled wine and popcorn (look for my amazing Mulled Wine Recipe below).
- Have a dance party.
- Build something. We’re furniture builders so of course we can’t help ourselves.
- Read a good book with some coffee or hot chocolate.
- Cook dinner together (if your kitchen is big enough — otherwise, don’t start a fight).
- Clean your house (if you’re into that kind of thing. I, for some odd reason, only enjoy it at 1 in the morning. Don’t ask me why).
- Watch a movie with your freshly baked cookies.
- Drink wine with a cheese and cracker platter while listening to music and having philosophical talks (it must be in the wine because somehow we find a way to solve all the world’s problems — or so we think).
- Play board games.
- Have a Cheap Asses Party.
- Go to your local library and read a good book by the fireplace.
- Play a 2 person video game together (Mario Kart + The Smurfs are top notch).
- Go thrift store shopping (window shopping) with a friend.
- Visit older family members.
- Watch football (because well, he likes it).
- Go to the free days at a local art museum.
- Walk around the indoor Farmer’s Market.
- Hit up your local Taco Tuesday or Tostada Thursday (Poblano peppers I am coming for you!)
- Tuesday night $5 movie passes.
- Home improvement projects.
- Have a wine tasting at a local winery.
Outdoor Frugal Winter Activities:
- Ice fish (The Beard’s favorite past time).
- Watch your animals play (dogs, chickens, rabbits, cats).
- Go on a walk/hike at your local park.
- Sled down your hill in the backyard (preferably on a Flexible Flyer).
- Build snow men.
- Have a snowball fight.
- Grow some kale.
- Make wreaths out of cut down trees and pine branches.
- Have an outdoor scavenger hunt (pinecones, pine trees, twigs, rocks, icicles).
- Ask for a ski/snowboarding pass for Christmas and go to your local ski slopes.
What winter, frugal activities do you do?